Thursday, May 13, 2010

Candi Sushi

Last weekend we had a going away party for my brother who is in the Air Force. Since he is headed to Japan (Literally. As I type this he is on a plane headed over there) the party was Japanese themed and I had volunteered to bring candy sushi. I saw a recipe a year or so ago and bookmarked it because I thought it looked fun.

I was wrong.

I had originally planned to do a recipe post showing everyone how to make these cute little things, but they turned out to be the biggest pain in my butt. Since I was already throwing food against the wall, yelling and crying I decided not to add to my stress by taking pictures of the whole thing.

But IF you want to know how to make them, I will give you the recipe. Just take some Prozac first. It may help.



Its a rather simple recipe. You need 1 cup of Rice Krispies cereal, 4 fruit roll ups (preferably green, but any flavor will do), 4 red twizzlers, 8 large marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of butter.


Here's what ya do.

In a small saucepan, melt marshmallows with the butter over low heat. Add the rice cereal and stir to coat; let cool slightly. (And by slightly, it means slightly. Like, 2-3 min.)

Cut licorice to the length of the fruit roll-up. Unroll the fruit roll-up and peel off the plastic film.

Note: This is where I started cursing the world. I live in South Georgia. Its blasted hot and humid down here. So the fruit roll ups did not peel off the plastic film as much as they tore into 5 thousand little sticky shreds. So a word to the wise: Put the fruit roll ups in the fridge for 5-10 minutes prior to unrolling. It works SO much better that way!


Place about 1/4 of the rice cereal mixture on the edge of each roll-up. (Just eye ball it. Basically you need to make sure there is enough to cover 1/2 of the fruit roll up.)

Place (and push) the twizzler in the center of the rice mixture and roll up the candy sushi. Dip a knife in water to keep it from sticking and cut into 2-inch pieces.



Here is a visual. I wanted all of the fruit roll ups to be green, but NO ONE IN THIS GOSH AWFUL TOWN SOLD GREEN FRUIT ROLL UPS. *ahem* So I had to use a combination of Shrek tongue tattoo mini fruit roll ups and a multi colored pack. Which worked out fine in the long run, but during the whole process I was quite sure the world was ending.


Ok, so I may have some issues that need to be worked out. This candy sushi thing really messed with my psyche.




Here are all of the completed candy sushi. In order to make this many you need to quadruple the recipe or something.





And much to my surprise, the candy sushi really did taste pretty good. I mean, I expected it to be WAY to chewy, but it wasn't too bad! In fact, I would almost say that it was worth the 3 hours I spent in the kitchen.

Almost.

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so cute and yummy! I'm sorry it was so hard on you, but you lived to tell the story! :)
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! I must try these! Lindsey